Caroline Kerswell Conservative activist

Caroline Kerswell Conservative activist

Monday 16 November 2009

Rottweiler’s need to be licensed and controlled more effectively- the council must do something about dangerous dogs


Normally I am a dog lover and I used to own one. However this morning I was the victim of a horrible attack by a big dangerous dog. I was on my bike on my way to work as normal cycling through Wapping by the river in King Edwards Memorial Park when I saw a loose Rottweiler. It looked at me and suddenly started running towards me barking and showing its teeth. It ran and knocked me off my bike and I was so scared I nearly jumped in the river. There was no owner around at all or anybody's to help me. It damaged my right foot boot and I have bruises where I came off my bike. Luckily the dog ran away soon after I came off my bike. But I am still really shaken up and upset.

I always thought there were laws against dangerous dogs. Owners should muzzle them and keep them on leashes. I really think the local authorities should do more to license and restrict owners who do not have enough responsibility to keep these animals under control. I phoned up the police and reported the attack which I hope will be investigated as this Rottweiler may perhaps attack someone more vulnerable in the future; a child or someone elderly who may not be able up to get up from a fall. This kind of attack should not happen and if the owner was around I would have given him a piece of my mind.

I want to know what the council are doing about dangerous dogs. There only four animal wardens in the area and they did not issue a single fine for the dog fouling last year. I think it may be time they re-examine this policy and put further budget aside.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! The Dangerous Dogs Act doesn't seem to apply to some people or areas of London..

    ReplyDelete